Fore Street

EXETER VIEWS - Set on the hill in the old West Quarter, Fore Street is a place for the eccentric shopper!

This is the direct route into the city centre from the west side of the river Exe. The street elevates from the Exe Bridges roundabout through New Bridge Street and up into Fore Street. A look back at the top will offer a far reaching view to the moors beyond the Exe valley.

Access to the city from the west originally came across the old stone bridge. Remains of this medieval bridge still stand today in a dry position away from the Exe. The route then continued through West Gate, went up Stepcote Hill, on to Smythen Street and then High Street.

https://www.exeterviews.co.uk/exeter-shopping-fore-street.php

VISIT EXETER - This is what makes Exeter so different from any other city in the region.

Away from the busy High Street you'll find a wealth of chic independent stores that you can't find anywhere else.

Fore Street in the West Quarter is a rare find, not only for its architecture, but for its unusual shops and arcades. The McCoy's Arcade is home to vintage and retro clothing shop The Real McCoy and Manson's Guitars, whose famous clients have included Led Zeppelin, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Yes, Jethro Tull and McFly! The City Arcade has some interesting shops such as Reform Records,

https://www.visitexeter.com/shopping/independent

Exeter Memories A common name in Devon, it means the street that is below or continues on from the High Street. The position of Fore Street in Exeter may be due to King Alfred's period of town planning, along with Gandy Street. Before about 1739 Fore Street stretched as far as St Stephen's Church in the High Street, causing considerable problems for the unwary historian. Before the continuation of Fore Street down New Bridge Street to meet the new Georgian Exe Bridge of 1788, Fore Street was not nearly so prominent as a through road. The main route into Exeter from the medieval Exe Bridge was originally up Stepcote Hill and Smythen Street to meet the High Street a little east of Broadgate. Although the majority of the buildings in the street date from the 18th and 19th-century, St Olaves Church and Tuckers Hall date back to mediaeval times.

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_streets/forestreet.php

More:

follow Hartstongue on social media

         

Twitter  Facebook  YouTube  Instagram LinkedIn