Devon Gardens Trust The house built on a new site in 1822 by Thomas Lee, a Barnstaple architect, for Newton Fellowes. It was an early example in the county of an embattled Tudor style for a country house. It was dismantled in 1917. Now an eminently picturesque large ruin standing against the sky, surrounded by the woods of the Taw valley, like the best of follies. Revd John Swete visited in 1796 and wrote that ‘the landscape had nothing in it of the wild, or romantic, it was a sweetly-pleasing picture, touched by the soft, the minute, the elegant pencil of nature. Art did not seem to me to have used much of its interference in the embellishment of this little paradise.’ In 1806 Polwhele wrote that it was ‘built about the year 1718 of brick, much increased and improved by the present possessor who has also laid out the grounds about it with much elegance and taste under the direction of the late Mr Richmond; woods well interspersed, considerable plantations and the river Taw contributing much to enrich and beautify the scene.’
White (1850) noted that ‘Old Eggesford House was the seat of the Lords Chichester in the 17th century, and was rebuilt by W. Fellowes, Esq., in 1718, but was taken down about 26 years ago. The present seat of the Hon. Newton Fellowes is a neat mansion, standing in the adjoining parish of Wembworthy. ’ Stockdale described it as ‘lately taken down’. The sale particulars of 1913 particularly noted the walled kitchen gardens of three acres while that of 1914 noted the mile long drive and that the walks
were noted for the specimen trees. The Parkland survives. Within the former grounds are a nursery and garden.
Eggesford House from Chulmleigh 4th Nov 2020 (Grant Sherman)
Historic England Extensive ruins of country house. Built between 1820/30 for the Honourable Newton Fellowes; architect, Thomas Lee of Barnstaple; abandoned 1911. Squared blocks of local iron stone with granite ashlar dressings and some Hatherleigh stone detail; many interior walls and stacks of brick; roofs now completely gone. Much of the building has collapsed and therefore the plan can only be appreciated in general. The house was conceived on a grand scale, comprising an irregular and rambling complex of buildings. It faced south-west with the main block at the right (south-east) end, apparently 3 rooms wide and 3 deep. The shell of this survives. Another block along the left side was recessed from the front and 2 rooms deep. It has largely collapsed.
Wikipedia Lady Catharine Fortescue, a daughter of Hugh Fortescue, 1st Earl Fortescue (1753–1841) of Castle Hill, Filleigh appears to have been the driving force behind the demolition of the old Eggesford House located immediately to the west of the parish church, and the building of the new Eggesford House, about a mile further east on the brow of a hill, the site of Heywood House in the parish of Wembworthy, ancient seat of the Speke family, which was demolished as part of the scheme. Catharine had at first planned merely to enlarge and remodel the old house, and had drawings prepared by her father's architect Thomas Lee (died 1834) of Barnstaple.