Morchard Bishop is a village and civil parish in Mid Devon in the English county of Devon. It has a population of 975, and contains a primary school, two churches, and a playing field with tennis court. Notable past residents include Ernest Bevin
The name Morchard means the great wood or forest from the Celtic: mǭr cę̃d, Modern Welsh: mawr coed. The affix of 'Bishop' is from its possession by the Bishop of Exeter in 1086.
Morchard Bishop is twinned with Saint-Gatien-des-Bois in Normandy. It has a garage, a post office, a pub called The London Inn, a surgery, a blacksmith and its own woodland. It is about 8 miles (13 km) from the market town of Crediton. Community events include: a village pantomime, an allotment association, a ukulele band and football teams.
Morchard Bishop Parish Council
Devon County Council Map Viewer
Information on Devon's environment has been mapped on our Environment Viewer. These maps give access to spatial (geographic) data for Devon on a wide range of topics.
GENUKI provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland. It is a non-commercial service, maintained by a charitable trust and a group of volunteers.
The tithe maps and apportionments are an important source of information about the history and topography of a parish. They provide details of land ownership and occupation, and the type of cultivation of the land, and are often the earliest complete maps of parishes.