Sampford Peverell is a village and civil parish in Mid-Devon, England. An old Saxon settlement, it was called Sanforda in the 1086 Doomsday Book. Its current name reflects its inclusion in the Honour of Peverel, the lands of William Peverel and his family. His great-grandson, Hugh Peverell (the name had changed spelling), is buried in the village church of St John the Baptist. The parish is surrounded, clockwise from the north, by the parishes of Hockworthy, Holcombe Rogus, Burlescombe, Halberton and Uplowman.
The New Rectory was built in 1836, at the expense of the Grand Western Canal Company, in compensation for cutting through the grounds and demolishing the south wing of the Old Rectory which had been built for the use of Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII.
The Great Western Railway opened a station at Sampford Peverell in 1932 but it closed on 5 October 1964; the site has since been reused as Tiverton Parkway railway station (opened in 1986).
Sampford Peverell Parish Council
Devon County Council Map Viewer
Information on Devon's environment has been mapped on our Environment Viewer. These maps give access to spatial (geographic) data for Devon on a wide range of topics.
GENUKI provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland. It is a non-commercial service, maintained by a charitable trust and a group of volunteers.
The tithe maps and apportionments are an important source of information about the history and topography of a parish. They provide details of land ownership and occupation, and the type of cultivation of the land, and are often the earliest complete maps of parishes.