Zeal Monachorum (Latin translation Cell of the Monks) is a village and civil parish in the Mid Devon district of Devon, England, about 18 miles (29 km) north-west of Exeter, situated on the River Yeo. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 398. The village is in the electoral ward of Taw whose population at the 2011 Census was 1.660.
The parish of Zeal Monachorum covers an area of almost 3,400 acres (1370 hectares) at a height of 280 - 640 feet (200 m) above sea level (85 – 195 metres). It lies at the centre of Devon, situated between the A3072 Okehampton to Crediton road on the south and the B3220 Torrington to Morchard road on the north, about halfway between Crediton and Okehampton. The village itself is on the south-facing hillside of the Yeo valley looking towards Dartmoor.
The civil parish includes a number of hamlets such as East Leigh, Leigh Cross and Waie.
A mile to the south-west of the village is Reeve Castle, a large turreted house dated 1900 and restored from a ruinous state in the late twentieth century.
Zeal Monachorum Parish Council
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcj31ukjh (Down St Mary)
Devon County Council Map Viewer
Information on Devon's environment has been mapped on our Environment Viewer. These maps give access to spatial (geographic) data for Devon on a wide range of topics.
GENUKI provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland. It is a non-commercial service, maintained by a charitable trust and a group of volunteers.
The tithe maps and apportionments are an important source of information about the history and topography of a parish. They provide details of land ownership and occupation, and the type of cultivation of the land, and are often the earliest complete maps of parishes.